Improving Reading Comprehension – Step 2
In my last post we discussed Improving Reading Comprehension.
The following is the second text presenting a new aspect of our general theme: Communication Devices. The objective is to enrich the students’ information and knowledge of the topic since prior knowledge certainly facilitates comprehension of a text.
Introducing Text No. 2 (Link to Text No. 1)
Let’s start with an Oral Activity.
Look at the following cartoon.
(Click on the link below: communication devices.)
- Describe the cartoon.
- Where does the scene take place?
- What does the cartoon suggest?
- Public collection boxes are slowly disappearing. Do you agree? What might be the reason?
Developing class discussion based on the cartoon.
- Do you have a facsimile machine at home / at school / at your parents’ office?
- What are the advantages of a facsimile machine?
Text No. 2
The facsimile machine has brought about a revolution in communication. No need to put the letter in an envelope and stick a stamp on it. No need to run to the post office to buy stamps if you run out of them. No need to go looking for a public collection box. You just put the letter on the machine, press a few buttons and you can relax. There is nothing left for you to do except wait for a reply.
The main advantages of a facsimile machine are speed and efficiency. it doesn’t take days to transmit or get a message. It’s a matter of seconds. It is practically like using the telephone. The difference is that with the facsimile machine you don’t speak and listen but write and read. You can transmit pictures, photographs, maps, diagrams, etc.
Years ago, when the first facsimile machines appeared in post offices, people didn’t even imagine how popular they would soon become. Today, there is hardly any office or business without a facsimile machine. For most people, it is not a luxury but a convenience they cannot do without.
Working on the text
Read the text carefully.
- Find the main idea of every paragraph.
- Can you sum up the text in three sentences?
- Choose a suitable title for the text.
Writing and Language Activities
1. Rewrite the following sentences.
- The facsimile machine has brought about a revolution in communication.
A revolution …
- No need to put the letter in an envelope.
It is not …
- No need to run to the post office.
- You just put the letter on the machine.
The letter …
- There is nothing left for you to do except wait for a reply.
The only …
2. Complete the following sentences according to the text.
- Thanks to the facsimile machine, we don’t …
- In order to operate the facsimile machine, you just have to …
- Facsimile machines are ….
- We can use the machine to send …
- Facsimile machines are now …
- The first facsimile machines appeared …
- Most offices now …
- Most people think it is …,
3. Rearrange the sentences that you have just completed in chronological order according to the passage.
4. Choose 5 or six sentences that would best sum up the text.
Write 2 – 3 paragraphs about the following subject:
Describe a world in which most people work and study at home. What do you think about it?
Would you like to live in a world like this? Explain your answer.
And that’s all for today. More texts and suggestions in my next post.